We currently have a job opening for a Catastrophe Risk Modeler to join our Earthquake team in the Model Development group of Risk Management Solutions, Inc. (RMS) in our Newark, California, office. The main focus of this role is on the development of earthquake hazard and risk models with emphasis on understanding, developing, and implementing state of the art science and practices. Responsibilities include keeping pace with and contributing to research of the physical nature of earthquakes and reviewing and interpreting various geological, geodetic, and/or seismological ingredients of earthquake hazard models. Technical support both internally within RMS as well as for our clients will be required. You would join a highly skilled, motivated and collaborative team of earthquake scientists that is passionate about developing and using science to build resilient societies around the world and educating our clients (mostly from insurance and financial industry) about earthquake science and risk.
· Degree in Geophysics, Geology, Earth Sciences with a research focus on one of the fields of fault physics, earthquake geology, seismology (statistical, observational or theoretical), and tectonophysics.
· MS degree required. PhD degree preferred. Additional work experience in a related field a plus.
· Knowledge of (observational) seismology and earthquake hazard a plus
· Required: Good programming skills in any high-level language (Python, C, C++, MATLAB, R or other statistical packages)
· Plus, but not essential: Working knowledge of QGIS or ARCGIS Software.
· Required: Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment: We are looking for a team player with a high-degree of self-motivation
· Required: Good project management skills: the ability and willingness to work on multiple projects at the same time
· Required: Detail oriented, ability to learn quickly, strong analytical and organizational skills.
· Required: Excellent written and verbal skills, as evidenced by technical presentations at meetings and conferences and publications in peer-reviewed journals
At RMS, we build simulation models that allow (re-)insurers and investors to understand portfolio risks due to catastrophes: natural catastrophes (hurricane, earthquake, windstorm, and flood), wildfire, terrorism, pandemic, climate change and changes in life expectancy. For more information, visit www.rms.com
To apply, please email cover letter plus resume to email@example.com. You can contact the same email address with questions.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org