22 December 2016 – A record-setting 66 members applied for travel grants to attend the 2017 Annual Meeting. With the generous support of the SSA community, the Travel Grant Selection Committee awarded eighteen grants to support the participation of our European Seismological Commission, international and student members at the Annual Meeting in Denver, April 18-20, 2017.
Supported by the Kanamori Fund and Student Travel Fund, the grants waive the fee for registration and provide a cash stipend for travel expenses.
Applications are accepted annually during the month of November, and the grantees are selected in December.
The eighteen winners of the 2017 travel grants are as follows:
ESC-SSA Travel Grant:
- Gregor Schweppe, Cologne University, Germany
International Travel Grants:
- Anton Biryukov, University of Calgary, Canada
- Zoya Farajpour, International Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Iran
- Frederick Jackson, Western University, Canada
- Sanjay Singh Negi, Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, India
Student Travel Grants:
- Elizabeth Berg, University of Utah
- Edward Brooks, Northwestern University
- Yenan Cao, University of Notre Dame
- Rosa García Castro, Universidad de El Salvador, El Salvador
- Wenyuan Fan, University of California San Diego
- Alex Grant, University of Washington
- Tiegan Hobbs, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Hannah Mejia, Baylor University
- Manuel Mendoza, University of California Riverside
- Sunyoung Park, Harvard University
- Maeva Pourpoint, Pennsylvania State University
- Nader Shakibay Senobari, University of California Riverside
- Tim Sonnemann, University of Iceland, Iceland
Congratulations to the recipients of the 2017 travel grants! As the interest in our travel grant program grows, SSA will continue to seek member donations so that we may meet the demand for financial support. If you would like to help by donating, you can do so here.