Through the Global Travel Grant program, SSA offers early-career and student members financial support to attend and present their research at scientific conferences and workshops anywhere in the world.
Applications are open every year in February and July. The February application period covers travel from May through October. The July application period covers travel from November through April.
Applicants are encouraged to find other sources of financial support to supplement SSA funding, which is capped at $2,500 per grant.
Applications will be accepted 1-31 July 2022 at 5 p.m. Pacific. Apply using the below link.APPLY
Review a Sample Application [1 MB].
Questions? Send an email to email@example.com.
- Applicant must be an SSA Student member in good standing for at least six months prior to open application period or Early-Career member in good standing for at least one year prior to open application period.
- Attendance at the meeting must be directly connected to the study or application of earthquake science or seismology.
- Student applicants must have a faculty advisor submit a letter of support on their behalf. The letter should specify the degree the student will receive at the completion of their program and the benefits the student will receive from attending the event. Early-career applicants must have an adviser or supervisor submit a letter of support. All letters should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline.
- Due to COVID-19, many conferences are now virtual. SSA will accept applications for registration costs associated with virtual conferences with a minimum financial request of $150.
- If you apply for an in-person meeting that is eventually converted to a virtual format, funding may be applied to the virtual event, subject to need and the revised registration costs. Grants for an in-person meeting that is postponed may be applied to the rescheduled meeting.
- Applicants may apply to participate in relevant scientific conferences or workshops anywhere in the world.
- Please note: Any in-person conference that takes place in North America must have fewer than 1,000 participants. For virtual events: if the last in-person meeting took place in North America, it must have had fewer than 1,000 participants in order to qualify for this grant. [Examples of ineligible virtual or in-person meetings in North America: Annual Meetings of SSA, AGU, GSA and SEG.]
- February application period covers travel from May through October.
- July application period covers travel from November through April.
Note: This travel grant does not provide funds to attend SSA conferences. A separate SSA program provides travel grants to attend the SSA Annual Meeting.
Recipients of the Global Travel Grant are required to provide proof of registration, a brief written report of their experience and a photo.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
If you are interested in receiving emails about SSA’s travel grant programs, sign up for our email list below.