Meet with advisors online. Ask anything. Move your career ahead at SSA Connects.
Are you looking for some guidance about your career in seismology? Curious how to get ahead in your field? Interested to know more about a seismologist’s day-to-day work?
Join SSA Connects – a virtual meet-up and opportunity to get advice from SSA members. These one-hour events occur bimonthly and are open to SSA members only. After each meeting, we’ll ask for your feedback so that they evolve to be as useful as possible.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
These are informal discussions that will reflect the needs and interests of the participants, who may sign up for specific breakout rooms when registering. Each session will be different, completely dependent on those involved.
Early-Stage Career Advice – Tuesday, 22 June 10 a.m. Pacific
This mentoring session will help you discover what is needed to develop and foster a successful career! Our mentors will give the advice they wish they had at the beginning of their career and answer your questions about careers in academia, government work and industry.
- Julian J. Bommer, Imperial College London
- Xiaowei Chen, The University of Oklahoma
- Jeanne Hardebeck, U. S. Geological Survey
Work/Life Balance in Science – Tuesday, 22 June 4 p.m. Pacific
The pandemic has left many feeling that their work/life balance is totally out of whack. Join us for an upcoming mentoring session to learn how to avoid burnout. Our mentors will discuss their experience and answer your questions about how to maintain a healthy personal life while working a rigorous job in science.
- Adam Pascale, Seismology Research Centre
- Katerina Ziotopoulou, University of California, Davis
- Dennise Templeton, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Proposal and Grant Writing – Tuesday, 20 July 4 p.m. Pacific
Writing effective proposals is key to advancement and the funding of your research. Bring your questions to our panel of successful grant and proposal writers.
- Luciana Astiz, National Science Foundation
- John Vidale, University of Southern California
- Maureen Long, Yale University
Earthquake Early Warning – Tuesday, 20 July 10 a.m. Pacific
Join our mentors for a discussion on Earthquake Early Warning science and systems!
- Angela Chung, University of California, Berkeley
- Max Wyss, International Centre for Earth Simulation
- Sarah E. Minson, U. S. Geological Survey
If you are not an SSA member, please join here:
Join SSA Today