10-30 Year Planning Horizon
Core Ideology and Envisioned Future
Core ideology describes an organization’s consistent identity that transcends all changes related to its relevant environment. Core ideology consists of two parts: core purpose – the organization’s reason for being – and core values – essential and enduring principles that guide an organization.
Core Purpose of SSA
Advance seismology and the understanding of earthquakes for the benefit of society
Core Values of SSA
- Scientific integrity and excellence
- Collaborative exchange of knowledge
- International cooperation
- Informing policy decisions with sound science
- Fostering professional development of scientists and engineers
- Societal engagement for public safety and resilience
- Active engagement of the next generation
Envisioned future conveys concrete, but yet unrealized, vision for the organization. It consists of a Vision Statement – a clear and compelling catalyst that serves as a focal point for effort – and a Vivid Description – vibrant and engaging descriptions of what it will be like to achieve the Vision. Only the Vision Statement is being shared within the plan itself.
SSA is the primary forum for the assembly, exchange and dissemination of scientific knowledge essential for an earthquake aware and safer world.
3-5 Year Planning Horizon
Outcome-Focused Goals and Objectives
The following thinking represents the organization’s goals for the next 3-5 years. These Goals are outcome-oriented statements that represent what will constitute SSA’s future success. The achievement of each goal will move the organization towards the realization of its Envisioned Future.
- Organization: The SSA is a fiscally sound and operationally excellent organization guided by a diverse group of leaders responsive to an engaged membership.
- Scientific Leadership: The SSA is an internationally recognized community leading the advancement of earthquake sciences and informing public policy.
- Communication: The SSA communicates trusted scientific knowledge among the scientific, engineering and broader communities for societal benefit.
- Human Capital and Development of the Discipline: The SSA builds the future of earthquake science and seismology by engaging students and professionals, recognizing excellence in our field, and raising public awareness of the science and its value to society.
Approved July 9, 2012