SSA is committed to fostering the exchange of scientific ideas by providing a safe, productive, and welcoming environment for all SSA sponsored meeting participants, including attendees, staff, volunteers and vendors. We value the participation of every member of the community and want all participants to have an enjoyable and fulfilling experience.
All participants at SSA meetings are expected to be considerate and collaborative, communicating openly with respect for others, and critiquing ideas rather than individuals. Behavior that is acceptable to one person may not be acceptable to another, so use discretion to be sure that respect is communicated.
Examples of unacceptable behavior include, but are not limited to:
- Physical or verbal abuse of any kind.
- Threatening or stalking any participant.
- Making inappropriate comments whether verbal or digital related to gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof), national origin, or other legally protected group status or characteristics.
- Inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images or language in public spaces or in presentations.
- Harassment intended in a joking manner still constitutes unacceptable behavior.
- Retaliation for reporting harassment is also a violation of this Code of Conduct, as is reporting an incident in bad faith.
Reporting Unacceptable Behavior
Any participant experiencing or witnessing behavior that at any time in their judgment constitutes an immediate or serious threat to public safety is advised to contact emergency services immediately (for hotel security, dial 0 from any house phone; or 911) and to notify on-site venue security and SSA staff.
If you are the subject of unacceptable behavior or have witnessed any such behavior, you are encouraged to notify an SSA staff member, call the appropriate emergency number provided for the meeting, and write the Executive Director Nan Broadbent by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Writing down the details of the incident is also recommended. Requests for confidentiality will be honored to the extent possible.
SSA staff (or their designee) or security may take any action deemed necessary and appropriate for any unacceptable behavior, including but not limited to that described above. Possible actions include removal of a participant from the meeting, without refund. Suspension or termination of membership in SSA, denial to participate in future SSA events or meetings, or other action(s) may be taken in SSA’s sole discretion, depending on the severity of the unacceptable behavior.
SSA is committed to handling all situations to the best of its ability. However, this Code of Conduct is informational and is not a contract.
Approved by the SSA Board of Directors, April 2018.