Publication charges are based on the final number of printed pages in the journal. Additional costs may be charged to authors who introduce substantive changes late in the production process. Advance invoices for publication charges may be requested by contacting the editorial office of either BSSA or SRL.
|Pages 1 – 6||$700 flat fee|
|Pages 7 – 12||$150 per page|
|Pages 13+||$275 per page|
|Color Charge||$250 per print page (online-only color is free)|
Some special features/columns in SRL do not incur page charges. Click here for a list. All other published material will incur publications charges.
Authors can estimate the number of journal pages by using this formula:
(# of ms words / 1100) + [(# of figures + # of tables) X 0.45]
Color Charges for Print
Articles with color figures have two options:
(1) The color-in-print option. Color figures occur both online and in print. Each printed page on which color occurs is charged at $250 per page.
(2) The color-online-only option. Color figures occur only online. The figures are printed in grayscale. There are no color charges for this option.
The author must choose only one option for all of the color figures within a paper; that is, you cannot choose option (1) for one color figure and option (2) for another color figure. You cannot submit two versions of the same figure, one for color and one for grayscale. The color-in-print option requires full payment of page and color charges.
Example: An 8-page article with color on three pages will cost $1,750 if the figures are printed in color. The same article will cost only $1,000 if the figures are printed in grayscale and appear in color only online.
Please note the following before selecting a color option:
- Color figures must be submitted before the paper is accepted for publication.
- If color figures are changed to grayscale after acceptance of the paper, there will be a delay to publication while the paper undergoes further review by the Editorial Board.
Authors are responsible for ensuring that color figures are understandable when converted to grayscale for the print version and that text references and captions are appropriate for both online and print versions. For information on preparing figures, see the SSA Art Guidelines. If you choose the option of color online and grayscale in print, it is essential that you review the Tutorial on Producing Online-Only Color Figures from the SSA Art Guidelines.
Offprints are reprints of an article printed on the same paper type and printing process that creates the print journal, with or without covers. The title of the article appears on page 1 even if it appears on an even-numbered page in the journal. Authors may order offprints at the time final proofs are approved.Offprint Pricing
Charges are calculated based on page length and number of copies. Additional charges apply for color figures, offprint covers, and shipping outside North America.
The author (or someone designated by the author) will be billed for publication charges after the final proof of the article is approved. For billing questions, please contact SSA Headquarters via telephone at (510) 525-5474 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Advance (estimated) invoices are sent upon request.
Pay Page Charges Online
Authors may pay by credit card (Amex, MC and Visa) online.
Publication Charge Policy
The Seismological Society of America requests that institutions supporting research share in the cost of publicizing the results of that research. The Editor has the discretion of reducing publication charges for authors who do not have grant support or institutional financial support, as documented by the authors in a formal letter. The high cost of publication limits the number of waived pages that can be published each year; papers with reduced page charges are limited in length and there are limitations on the number of waivers allowed per author.
Requests to waive page charges must be made at time of submission. If a waiver request is not made at time of submission and granted, then authors are responsible for all page charge fees.
These rules apply for papers that receive waived page charges for BSSA and SRL:
- A waiver must be requested at the time of submission on official letterhead;
- An author may request only one waiver every two years, regardless of whether the paper is accepted or rejected. If a waiver request is submitted, then all co-authors are considered to have requested the waiver.
- No more than 12 pages will be waived per paper. If the paper is longer than 12 pages, each additional page will be billed at $275 per page.
- If publication charges have been reduced, all figures will be printed in grayscale in the printed journal.