Members of the press should contact Nan Broadbent via phone at 408-431-9885 or via email at <email@example.com>.
Recent Press Releases
BSSA Volume 105:1, February 2014
Released January 5, 2015
- Fracking Confirmed as Cause of Rare “Felt” Earthquake in Ohio by Skoumal et al.
SSA Awards 2014
Released November 17, 2014
These awards will be presented at the Society's 2015 Annual Meeting in Pasadena, California in April.
- Thorne Lay honored by Seismological Society of America
UC Santa Cruz professor has advanced understanding of deep Earth, earthquake processes and nuclear test monitoring
- SSA honors Victor Tsai with Charles F. Richter Early Career Award
SRL Volume 85:6, Nov/Dec 2014
Released October 15, 2014
- Hydraulic fracturing linked to earthquakes in Ohio by Friberg et al.
BSSA Volume 104:6, December 2014
Released October 14, 2014
- Some sections of the San Andreas Fault system in San Francisco Bay Area are locked, overdue by Lienkaemper et al.
BSSA Volume 104:5, October 2014
Released September 15, 2014
- M 9.0+ possible for subduction zones along “Ring of Fire,” suggests new study by Rong et al.
- Wastewater injection is culprit for most earthquakes in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico by Rubinstein et al.
BSSA Volume 104:4, August 2014
Released June 30, 2014
- Gas-charged fluids flowing in disturbed rock zone creating seismicity associated with a Louisiana sinkhole
BSSA Volume 104:3, June 2014
Released May 20, 2014
- The next “Big One” for the Bay Area may be a cluster of major quakes
Paleoseismic studies expand earthquake record back to 1600s
SSA 2014 Annual Meeting, Anchorage, Alaska
Released April 30 – May 1, 2014
- Magnitude of quake scales with maturity of fault, suggests new study by German scientist
- Wastewater disposal may trigger quakes at a greater distance than previously thought
Man-made quakes need to be included in seismic hazard planning say experts
- Network for tracking earthquakes exposes glacier activity,
Accidental find offers big potential for research on Alaska’s glaciers
- Glacier Photo (for above release)
Photo Credit: Chris Larsen, Geophysical Institute, Univ. of Alaska
BSSA Volume 104:2, April 2014
Released March 11, 2014
SRL Volume 85:2, Mar/Apr 2014
Released March 7, 2014
- Activity more than location affects perception of quakes
- Urbanization exposes French cities to greater seismic risk
BSSA Volume 104:1, February 2014
Released January 20, 2014
SSA Awards 2013
Released January 6, 2014
These awards will be presented at the Society's 2014 Annual Meeting in Anchorage, Alaska in April.
- Pioneering geologist Kerry Sieh awarded top honor in seismology
- Vedran Lekic honored with Richter Early Career Award
SRL Volume 85:1, Jan/Feb 2014
Released January 2, 2014
- Longmanshen fault zone still hazardous, suggest new reports
Special Focus Section on the 2013 Lushan, China Earthquake
- Earthquake lights linked to rift environments, subvertical faults