Website Geosciences Department, Virginia Tech
The Virginia Tech Department of Geosciences invites applications for a full-time Research Associate in the area of Earthquake Seismology. The candidate will provide scientific, technical, and operational support for the recently installed Hampton Roads Seismic Network (HRSN), which is a 5-station seismic network in southeast Virginia. Day-to-day activities will be in the Department of Geosciences with occasional deployments to southeast Virginia and research-oriented conferences/meetings.
Specific duties include:
– Seismic network monitoring, including earthquake detection and hypocenter determination;
– Data quality control/assurance and archiving;
– Troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of HRSN seismic stations and telemetry systems;
– Project reporting and client communications;
– Research activities including independent research, scientific publishing, and research dissemination.
This position is supported by two years of grant funding with the opportunity for renewal. Preferred work site is at the Virginia Tech main campus in Blacksburg, Virginia, but alternate work sites within the central and eastern United States may be considered.
– MS in Geosciences, Geological/Geotechnical Engineering or closely related field,
– Demonstrated professional or academic experience in earthquake seismology.
– Commitment to inclusivity, diversity, equity and accessibility, including the ability to work productively with a team of people comprising diverse educational, technological, language and cultural backgrounds.
– Ability to travel and perform work in domestic locations.
– Ability to manage travel arrangements and follow environmental health and safety requirements at industrial facilities.
– Ability to lift and carry 25+ lbs of equipment on even/uneven terrain with or without the aid of a hand truck/dolly/cart.
– Experience in seismic network operations, seismic data analysis and maintenance
of broadband seismic stations and associated telemetry systems.
– Experience with Antelope real-time seismic network data acquisition and processing software or similar internet data telemetry systems.
– Experience with Seismic Analysis Code (SAC) and/or ObsPy.
– Experience with Linux/Unix computing and scripting.
– Experience with Python, Fortran, C, and/or C++ programming languages.
– PhD in Geosciences, Geological/Geotechnical Engineering or closely related field.
$60,000 – $65,000
August 31, 2022
Contact: Ryan Pollyea (email firstname.lastname@example.org) or Martin Chapman (email email@example.com)
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact (Sharon Collins) at (firstname.lastname@example.org) during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: July 21, 2022
Applications close: Open until filled
To apply for this job please visit careers.pageuppeople.com.