Website GNS Science
GNS Science, Te Pū Ao, is a Crown Research Institute. Our core purpose is to understand earth systems and physics-based technologies and to transform this knowledge into economic and social benefits for New Zealand.
GNS Science is New Zealand’s primary Institute for research on understanding earthquake hazards and reducing earthquake risks, and is also recognised internationally in these areas.
We are seeking a talented and motivated ground motion seismologist for a permanent, full time position in our Avalon, Lower Hutt office. The scientist will work with our seismology teams to develop our ground motion modelling capability, working from fundamental model development through to application for the benefit of New Zealand. Specific topics will be dependent on the successful candidate and could include advanced broadband ground motion simulation and/or modelling of local ground motion effects and/or engineering seismology and/or earthquake physics. There is also further opportunity to contribute to revisions of the New Zealand National Seismic Hazard Model, and engineering uptake of ground motion research.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
• A strong foundation in ground motion research and modern scientific programming
• A PhD and/or postdoctoral experience in ground motion seismology with a degree in seismology, engineering or geophysics. All experience levels will be considered.
• Experience working in a research environment, as part of a team.
• Ability to contribute on multiple topics to large projects
• Strong communication and writing skills
• Ability to develop and strengthen our international collaboration
This is an opportunity to be part of a great team at GNS Science.
For further information about this position and to apply online please visit and follow the online process. https://careers.sciencenewzealand.org/gns-science/gns-science-jobs
Closing date: 28 January 2020
To apply for this job please visit careers.sciencenewzealand.org.