Website GNS Science
GNS Science, Te Pū Ao, is a Crown Research Institute. Our core purpose is to understand earth systems and physics-based technologies and to transform this knowledge into economic and social benefits for New Zealand.
GNS Science is New Zealand’s primary Institute for research on understanding earthquake hazards and reducing earthquake risks, and is also recognised internationally in these areas.
We are seeking a talented earthquake scientist for a permanent, fulltime position in our Avalon, Lower Hutt office. We are currently beginning the first significant revision of our National Seismic Hazard Model in more than a decade and require a scientist to contribute to the core framework of the model and to help guide its future direction. This work will include research across some of the many topic areas directly related to probabilistic seismic hazard modelling, with the specific topics dependent on the skills of the successful candidate.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
• A PhD and/or post graduate experience in seismic hazard modelling and related areas of seismology, earthquake geology or earthquake engineering. All experience levels will be considered.
• A strong foundation in maths and statistics
• Experience working in a team-based research environment
• Strong communication and writing skills
• Ability to develop and strengthen our international collaboration
This is an opportunity to be part of a great team at GNS Science.
For further information about this position and to apply online please visit and follow the online process.
Closing date: 28 January 2020
To apply for this job please visit careers.sciencenewzealand.org.