Website GNS Science
GNS Science, Te Pū Ao, is one of seven Crown Research Institutes in New Zealand. Our core purpose is to understand earth systems and physics-based technologies and to transform this knowledge into economic and social benefits for New Zealand. We are New Zealand’s primary Institute for research on understanding earthquake hazards and reducing earthquake risks, and is also recognised internationally in these areas.
We are seeking a Statistical Seismologist for a permanent, full-time position in our Avalon, Lower Hutt site. Activities will include, but are not limited to, research into both time-dependent and stationary seismicity models across all time-scales, development and application of model testing methods, and assisting with the operations of the New Zealand Earthquake Forecast Testing Centre. There will be opportunities to develop links between earthquake forecasting and research for the National Seismic Hazard model.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A PhD in statistical methods as applied to earthquake seismology with a degree in statistics, seismology or geophysics
- A strong foundation in statistics
- Excellent computing and programming skills
- Positive team player with experience of working in a research environment
- Ability to contribute on multiple topics to large projects
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Proactive, problem-solving attitude
- Ability to develop and strengthen our international collaboration.
For further information about this position and to apply online please visit and follow the online process. https://careers.sciencenewzealand.org/jobdetails/ajid/bqRX8/Statistical-Seismologist,36385.html
Closing date: Wednesday, 22 January 2020
To apply for this job please visit careers.sciencenewzealand.org.