GNS Science, Te Pū Ao, is a Crown Research Institute. Our core purpose is to understand earth systems and physics-based technologies and to transform this knowledge into economic and social benefits for New Zealand.
GNS Science is New Zealand’s primary Institute for research on understanding earthquake hazards and reducing earthquake risks and is recognised internationally in these areas.
We are seeking a talented and motivated Seismic Hazard Service Delivery Lead for a permanent, fulltime position in our Avalon, Lower Hutt office. The person will take a lead role in managing the delivery of seismic hazard research, including the maintenance and development of infrastructure that supports the New Zealand National Seismic Hazard Model (NSHM). The role is team-oriented and works closely with scientists, software specialists, and a range of end-users.
The purpose of this role is to:
- Lead the development and maintenance of computational code and infrastructure that run and support the New Zealand Seismic Hazard Model
- Ensure seismic hazard delivery at GNS is kept up-to-date with international best practices.
- Participate as needed in the development, handling, and maintenance of datasets relevant to the National Seismic Hazard Model (NSHM).
- Assist in planning future directions of seismic hazard delivery at GNS Science
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Understanding of earthquakes, seismic hazard and/or earthquake ground motion.
- Computer programming skills, including familiarity with Python and standard version control systems (e.g. Github).
- Ability to lead and manage a working group of around four people and create a positive team working environment
- Ability to engage positively with science and end-user groups in a cross-disciplinary environment
- Proven report writing and communication skills.
- Organised and largely self-starting.
This is an opportunity to be part of a great team at GNS Science.
New Zealand’s borders are currently closed to all but New Zealand citizens and permanent residents. International candidates will still be considered, however, they might be required to work remotely as a contractor from overseas until New Zealand’s borders reopen.
Want to know more?
For further information about this position and to apply online please visit and follow the online process – https://careers.sciencenewzealand.org/jobdetails/ajid/eqSb9/Seismic-Hazard-Model-Service-Delivery-Lead,41630.html.
Applications close: 26 January 2021
To apply for this job please visit careers.sciencenewzealand.org.