Website Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Reservoir Simulation Research & Development – Postdoctoral Researcher
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to perform original and independent research on compositional multiphase flow and geomechanics for geologic carbon storage and underground hydrogen storage applications. You will develop numerical methods to model coupled processes on high-performance computing platforms. This position is in the Porous Media Group in the Atmospheric, Earth and Energy Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct original and independent research on compositional multiphase flow and geomechanics in porous and faulted media, with a focus on reservoir-scale applications.
- Develop numerical algorithms to efficiently model these processes on high-performance computing platforms using hybrid CPU/GPU architectures.
- Analyze data from geophysical monitoring and laboratory experiments, and integrate this data with high-resolution modeling studies.
- Publish programmatic reports and peer-review publications summarizing research findings.
- Present results at program meetings and scientific conferences.
- Work in a diverse, multidisciplinary team to tackle research challenges.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- D. in Energy Resources Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related field.
Knowledge of compositional multiphase flow or geomechanical processes. Note that expertise in both areas is preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of numerical methods, including discretization schemes and linear/nonlinear solution techniques.
- Significant experience with software development, including C++ and parallel computing paradigms.
- Experience producing reports, publications, and proposals.
- Research creativity, with exceptional ability and knowledge in the applicant’s area of specialization.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to collaborate effectively in a diverse, multidisciplinary team environment and present technical information.
Qualifications we desire
- Exposure to GPU computing, including relevant programming languages
- Experience with modern software development environments, including version control and testing frameworks.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://jobs.smartrecruiters.com/LLNL/3743990000262774-reservoir-simulation-research-development-postdoctoral-researcher
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.