Website Lettis Consultants Int'l Inc.
POSITION TITLE: Staff Geotechnical Engineer/Seismologist
REPORTS TO: Ivan Wong
LCI is an Earth Science consulting firm specializing in engineering geologic, seismic and natural hazards investigations. LCI is a California state and federally certified small business headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area with satellite offices in the Central Valley, southern California and Georgia. LCI is dedicated to providing its clients with science-based solutions to technically challenging Earth Science problems. LCI personnel have extensive experience conducting large, logistically complex, multi-disciplinary studies for critical facilities such as dams, pipelines, and nuclear power plants.
The successful entry level candidate will work on projects of average difficulty within the state-of-the-practice engineering seismology field, with his/her work being reviewed in detail by a supervisor. Candidates are expected to be responsible for completion of specified technical tasks or project elements in a self-directed manner, including: 1) the use of seismic hazard software programs to perform site-specific seismic hazard analyses; 2) evaluation of historical seismicity catalogs to develop models of background seismicity; 3) seismic source characterization; 3) site response analysis; 4) time history development; and 5) analysis of the applicability of ground motion models to project specific regions. Provide technical support in company’s marketing efforts.
With minimal supervision, candidates are expected to:
· Assist with project execution and anticipate near-term project needs.
· Assist with proposal and report preparation.
· Work with project teams and make technical recommendations.
· >75% utilization rate with some marketing.
· Complete assignments in a timely, organized, and accurate manner.
· Strive to maintain chargeability and become increasingly self-directed to identify ways to support project managers.
· Attend professional meetings and/or interface with professional consulting community.
· Participate in and support continuous improvement of the company’s processes.
Communicate tactfully and effectively, verbally and in writing. Perform other duties as assigned.
· Driver’s license with acceptable motor vehicle record.
· Ability to procure a passport.
Be able to represent Lettis Consultants International in a professional, business-like manner. Be highly organized and able to work within deadlines.
Master’s or Ph.D. degree in geology, geophysics, or geotechnical engineering is required. Past research experience funded by National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program (NEHRP) or publications in peer-reviewed journals such as Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America (BSSA) or Earthquake Spectra are highly desirable.
· Individual must possess an understanding and knowledge of probabilistic and deterministic seismic hazard analysis, evaluation of ground motion models, site response analysis, and time history development.
· Individual must possess an understanding of the estimation of seismic source properties i.e., stress drops and path parameters such as crustal attenuation and kappa
· Individual must have specific experience in programming in Fortran, C, Python, and Matlab.
· Individual must have experience with seismological specific advanced software such as Hypoellipse, HypoDD, Obspy, and Coulomb3.
· Must be able to learn software for communication, project management, and technical analysis
· Ability to read, analyze, and interpret procedures, regulations, and technical information; and write reports with clarity using good grammar.
· Strong technical writing and communication skills.
· Ability to effectively present ideas and technical information orally in a clear and concise manner and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
· Work cooperatively as part of a team, interacting effectively with co-workers, clients, and vendors; exhibit creativity and good problem-solving skills.
Salary and Benefits
LCI’s compensation package includes: full-time employment company paid medical and dental for employee and dependents; vision coverage; flexible spending program, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, paid maternity/paternity leave; 401(k)/Roth with company 3% safe harbor contribution; paid time off including 10 company holidays, vacation, sick, jury duty and bereavement.
LCI offers flexible work schedules, employee assistant program (EAP) and is committed to providing professional growth and development in the form of scientific, educational, and philanthropic activities that contribute to the continuing education of all employees.
LCI is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a team that represents and values diverse backgrounds. LCI promotes a positive work environment of inclusion, where we respect each other’s differences and recognize that a diverse and inclusive environment is key to our success.
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbent will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by the supervisor.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org