U.S. Geological Survey, Hawaiian Volcano Observatory
The U.S. Geological Survey, Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO) seeks to hire a geophysicist for the role of Geodetic Network Manager. We seek an individual with expertise in geodesy for a permanent appointment at the GS-12 or GS-13 level ($76,730-$118,612 per year).
The primary mission of HVO is monitoring the active volcanoes of Hawai’i to provide timely warnings of volcano hazards. HVO conducts and supports research in volcanology and geodesy to assess hazards related to active and potentially active volcanoes, and to understand volcano-tectonic processes to improve its monitoring efforts. The Geodetic Network Manager has a key role in fulfilling HVO’s mission through the following:
– Oversees HVO’s geodetic instrumentation, data acquisition, processing, and archiving. This includes over 60 continuous GPS stations and 18 borehole tiltmeters.
– In consultation with senior scientists, plans for expansion of geodetic monitoring equipment to augment existing networks and oversees design and installation by HVO technical staff and others.
– Organizes and oversees surveys to collect geophysical data (especially deformation monitoring data) and ensures that data are of high quality
– Manages collaborative agreements with other institutions that share geodetic data with HVO and responds to requests for HVO geodetic data.
– Performs geodetic research: Applies and modifies existing models to geodetic data to support understanding of magmatic systems and volcano-tectonic processes in Hawai’i.
Applicants must apply for the position via USA Jobs (https://www.usajobs.gov/). The closing date is December 6, 2019. More detailed information may be found at the USA Jobs vacancy number SAC-2020-0028 (https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/552015300). Any questions about the nature of the position can be directed to Ingrid Johanson (email@example.com). Inquiries about how to apply should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job please visit www.usajobs.gov.