Website US Geological Survey
Job opportunity with the USGS
Applications are due 07/27/2020!
The USGS Earthquake Science Center has an open position for a Computer Scientist
The Earthquake Science Center (ESC) of the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program is seeking a Computer Scientist with systems administration experience and fluency in programming languages, to support our real-time seismic monitoring projects. This position is being offered in Menlo Park, CA.
The successful applicant will be responsible for systems administration of on-premises, cloud-based and virtualized computing environments, along with contributing to ancillary activities of maintaining and contributing to the development of software for automated data acquisition, processing and quality control. Primary duties will be to operate and maintain the ShakeAlert Earthquake Early Warning (shakealert.org) system, a mission-critical, distributed system that rapidly detects earthquakes and generates and issues alerts. Secondary responsibilities will be to contribute in the engineering and development of new software applications, new features for deployed applications and enhancing existing functions and coding defect repairs to deployed applications.
As a Computer Scientist within the Earthquake Science Center, some of the specific duties will include:
* Serves as the lead system administrator for systems used in the earthquake monitoring computing environment.
* Operates, troubleshoots, and maintains computer systems for the development, testing, integration, production, and distribution of rapid automatic earthquake products in an on-call, 24/7 operational environment.
* Participates in leading and contributing to implementations and management of virtualized and cloud-based computing environments from inception to completion and serve as the subject matter expert for emerging cloud services and architectures.
* Contribute to the development of seismic data process and analysis applications and their integration into the workflow including adaptations for future hardware architectures.
* Employs modern software engineering principles and system design techniques to the next generation of software.
Apply online at
Open to all US citizens:
Open to current & former federal employees with status:
Please be sure to submit all the requested materials, including complete transcripts by July 27th – and please do not wait until the last minute to apply. Please carefully follow the instructions and resume guidelines when applying. The resumes MUST include detailed information for current and past positions: job title, name of company/agency, month/yr to month/yr, (e.g., March 2012 – June 2013), number of hours worked per week, supervisor’s name and # (and you may specify: “can call/do not call/contact me before calling,”) and narrative (not bullet list) of duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities.
If you have questions about the application process, please call 916-278-9399 or email email@example.com. It is highly recommended that you e-mail the contact person in the vacancy announcement to confirm that your documents uploaded correctly. Sometimes the documents submitted are blurry and hard to read or the file is corrupt and can’t be accessed. No late documents are accepted.
THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org