We are seeking applicants for a PhD or post-doctoral research position in ambient noise surface-wave tomography (ANT). The focus of the position will be applying various analysis and modelling techniques to constrain the three-dimensional seismological structure of the shallow crust (the upper 10’s of kilometers) and sedimentary basin using ambient recordings and broadband seismic data. ANT will be utilized with continuous data from permanent and temporary broadband and short-period stations to construct a 3D shear-wave velocity model in the study region. The position is suitable for highly motivated students (Master/PhD) with backgrounds in Geophysics, Seismology, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science. All experience levels will be considered.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Experience in seismic processing with focus on seismic ambient noise data; surface waves tomography and inversion; passive geophysical data; retrieving Rayleigh and Love waves empirical Green’s functions (or ambient noise cross-correlations); seismic interferometry;
- A strong foundation analyzing large datasets and modern scientific programming; advanced Matlab and-or Python knowledge would be ideal; knowing any additional programming language will be an advantage;
- Knowledge in ANT software/package/routines (including but not limited to MSNoise-TOMO, FMST, FTAN) would be a asset;
- Strong quantitative background and experience in computational programming would be an asset;
- Experience working in a research environment, as part of a team;
- Strong communication and writing skills;
- Ability to develop and strengthen our international collaboration;
If your first language is not English, we require proof of English proficiency by completing the TOEFL or IELTS test as a condition of admission. Scores more than two years old as of the date of proposed admission will not be accepted. We also can accept MELAB, CAEL or TOEFL PBT scores; please contact the department of Earth Sciences at Western University for more information.
Interested candidates are encouraged to contact Dr. Hadi Ghofrani at firstname.lastname@example.org with a current CV, academic transcript and a short description on research experience and interests. Selection will be performed on the basis of the excellence of the CV and motivation.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com